The employment share in the unorganized sector in India accounts for 83% of the workforce. 92.4% of informal workers work without any written contract, paid leave, or other employment benefits.
This poses some serious challenges for the government as it can become exceedingly difficult to calculate the total income and taxes. Moreover, the employees working in the unorganized sector do not have any legal protection and are vulnerable to various disputes and exploitation.
A Shop and Establishment Certificate is a single-point solution that helps small business owners conduct operations efficiently without compromising on the interests of the employees. But what exactly is a shop and establishment certificate? How does it benefit small businesses? And how can MSMEs complete their Shop and Establishment Registration? We give you comprehensive answers to all these questions.
Grow your business with collateral-free business loans
What is a Shop and Establishment Certificate?
Shop and Establishment certification is dependent on the location of the business. Each state has their own version of the Shops and Establishment Act. It provides a robust regulatory framework for businesses that have commercial establishments such as retail stores and restaurants.
The primary objective of Shop and Establishment Registration is to safeguard the employees working in the unorganized sector and regulate the operations of businesses. It seeks to convert the unorganized sector into an organized one.
Shop and Establishment Certificate: The Need for Small Businesses
While the tenets of the Shop and Establishment Act are focused on safeguarding the employees working in the unorganized sector, it has several benefits for small businesses as well. Here is a look at some of the benefits:
- Shop and Establishment Registration gives the legal right to small businesses to conduct their operations. Business owners can steer clear of any form of unfounded accusations and consequent interventions from legal authorities and can seamlessly operate under the jurisdiction of the Shop and Establishment Act.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) necessitates small businesses to have a separate bank account for all business transactions. Opening a bank account for your business will require you to have a Shop and Establishment Registration.
- Once your business is registered, you can sail through any inspection and checks conducted by the municipal authorities. Not having a Shop and Establishment Registration can land you in a lot of difficulties that can ultimately disrupt your business operations.
- The government of India extends useful schemes that your small business can seamlessly avail of if you have a Shop and Establishment Certificate.
The Application Process
Your Shop and Establishment Registration will require you to submit the following documents:
- Passport size photograph of the proprietor
- Identification proof (Aadhaar card, PAN card, driving license, or voter ID card)
- A photograph of the commercial establishment along with the owner
- A rent agreement in case of a rented property
- Utility bill
- Cancelled cheque
- Detailed bank statement
Once you have all the documents, you can move ahead with the online application process. Here is a step-by-step look at the entire procedure:
- Step 1: Visit the labour department website of your state and create a user ID and password.
- Karnataka: http://18.104.22.168/ekarmika/static/Home.aspx
- Maharashtra: https://mahakamgar.maharashtra.gov.in/lc-registration-of-shops-and-establishments.htm
- AndhraPradesh: https://onlineap.meeseva.gov.in/CitizenPortal/userinterface/citizen/Home.aspx
- Telangana: https://labour.telangana.gov.in/home.do
- Tamil Nadu: https://labour.tn.gov.in/services/Applicants/applicantRegistration
- Gujarat: http://www.ifp.gujarat.gov.in/
- Step 2: Fill in all the required details. This would include the name and address of your establishment, details of the employer and employees, PAN Card details, and a NOC or rent agreement in case of a rented premise.
- Step 3: Click on the Shop and Registration Form A.
- Step 4: Select the district/state in which your shop is located and fill in all the details as requested in the form.
- Step 5: Attach the required documents and upload them.
- Step 6: Pay the fee.
Once the entire process is completed, you can check the status of your application under the option titled ‘Scrutiny’. The license is issued once all the documents are verified.
Expand Your Business with Kinara Capital
We hope this article addresses all your queries related to Shop and Establishment Registration. As soon as you avail of your Shop and Establishment License, multiple avenues will open up for you to move forward with business expansion uninterrupted. Kinara Capital can help you in this regard through effective financial assessment and support. Connect with us today.
- MSME Loan
- Business Financing
- Working Capital
- Fintech Loan